Rise of the Geeks

Honestly, I don’t get the appeal of the midnight showing. It’s not like the movie is going to disappear the next day. It’s not like it’s a limited asset. It is a movie and it will be showing many, many, many times. Somehow, we’ve been convinced to treat films as if they are rare and valuable things and that seeing them first is some sort of worthy accomplishment.

It’s strange. Not because we like movies. But because we’ve all become nerds at this point. We live in a culture where obsessive devotion isn’t unique. It’s standard. It’s waiting in line eight hours to get a marginally improved version of a product we already have. It’s going into work exhausted because we had to see a Batman movie. It’s fantasy football, watching a whole season of a TV show in a day, etc., etc.

I don’t get it. If anything, this sort of obsessiveness seems like it should be less appealing. After all, you used to have to hunt for your obscure back issues, scrounge for recordings of your favorite TV shows, fight for every scrap of your personal obsession. Now, corporations have figured out you don’t need to make something rare to be treated as such. You merely have to act as if it is, and the rest will follow.

If anything, I’m the opposite at this point. I find myself less obsessive because when a marathon of my favorite show was on, it seemed like a rare treat. Now, if I want to watch 12 hours of Kolchak, all I do is turn on my Netflix streaming.  My favorite comic book stories are available in easy to find graphic novel collections. And every mainstream movie I want to see is just a five minute drive from my home.

I don’t know if it’s a good or a bad thing. It’s just a thing I don’t get.

Keelah Se’lai

Fighting the good fight, Writing the good write,

Lee

This entry was posted in Blog and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

6 Comments

1. Doug Johnson
    Posted July 20, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

It’s about the appeal of being “first”. And it does tap, rather nicely, into the now often lost appeal of film in theaters, which is the group experience of a film. If you go see Batman in a few weeks, the film will be the same, but the theater will be nearly empty.
    On the first night, you are in a crowded theater with people who are excited to be there. It adds to the experience.
    One of my best viewing experiences, ever, was watching Journey to the Center of the Earth featuring Pat Boone in a college theater. Yes, it was an old film even then, but what a great viewing experience.
    Now I’m happy just to go when it isn’t crowded and enjoy the flick. But I do understand the appeal.
    BTW, First post on this blog entry.

2. Gabriel
    Posted July 20, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

You know, there was something rewarding about hunting for old Conan books from the sixties, the ones with the Frazetta covers. Hunting for Kane books was nigh impossible. To this day, I kinda regret not getting the Red Sonja pastiche collection I found when I was twelve. But now they’re all in bookstores, readily available…and something’s just not the same. The hunt is gone :(

3. Steve2inLA
    Posted July 22, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

I believe obsession fades with age. Unless you obsess Jody Foster. In that case, it apparently never stops, or so I hear.

By the way, I just finished “Emperor Mollusk Versus the Sinister Brain.” So smart, so funny, so twisted. Bravo. I’m old and I’ve read a lot (like most visitors here, I’ve read all of your books) but every time I think I’ve “read it all”, you kick out something new and I’m forced to reconsider. Thanks.

4. Austin the Ninja
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Gotta say its all the excited fans that make me enjoy going to all the superhero movies on release date and dealing with the crowds. Lol kind of gives me one of the few opportunities where i feel among my own kind.

5. Victoria C.
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

I’m always glad to find and/or receive things I enjoy- mainstream or otherwise. I’m even happier when things are easier to acquire. I’m thankful for things like eBay, Amazon, and most of the internet.

Sure, I still “hunt” for things I’m interested in, online or in stores or garage sales, etc. and I’m enthralled when I finally find it.

Then again, obsessiveness is a trait that has always been part of me. And you know what? I wouldn’t give that up.

6. Posted January 17, 2013 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Hi there, You’ve done an excellent job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this website.

One Trackback

1. By טיפול בהזעת יתר בוטוקס on August 28, 2012 at 8:04 am

טיפול בהזעת יתר בוטוקס…

… בוטוקס שפתיים – עוד טיפול בהזעת יתר בוטוקס בקרב ניתוחים פלסטיים עונים על הצורך הזה הוא קיים והוא מאוד. התחלת הטיפול צריכה להתבצע על ידי רופא מיומן ובעל ניסיון טיפול בהזעת יתר בוטוקס. אם כך חיונ… Rise of the Geeks | A. Lee Martinez – Author of Div…